Make Your Closet More Conscious

November 7, 2022

conscious closet
Photo: Liza Summer via Pexels

How to make your closet more conscious or as we would say more #konshas?

Fashion’s Carbon Footprint

The global fashion industry produces between 4% (McKinsey) and 10% (U.N.) of the total carbon emissions on our planet. To put things into perspective, this is more than the combined annual greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of France, Germany and the United Kingdom. 

Additionally, data shows that about 70% of the fashion industry’s emissions result from upstream activities like materials production, preparation and processing. The remaining 30% come from downstream retail operations like the use and the end-of-use phases.

What is worse? Based on an article by the World Bank, the fashion industry’s GHG emissions will go up more than 50 % by 2030.

What can we do to minimize fashion’s carbon footprint?

#1 Demand more transparency from brands

Action comes from knowledge. However, the brands that do track where their products come from and that have stable and honest relationships with their suppliers are not many… and definitely not enough. However, the more consumers demand transparency, the more companies in the fashion industry (and not only) will start listening to them. The more data they collect, the more knowledge they will have, and the more actions they will take.

#2 Support conscious brands

We, at Konsha, aim to help you get to know brands that care about the environment. They are honest about their processes and commitments. They stick to circularity, certified materials and zero waste practices. Yes, none of them is perfect and they know it. However, they do make efforts and with time, these efforts become bigger and bigger. We all start from somewhere.

Supporting independent and conscious businesses means supporting a better tomorrow. Buying products from them helps them sustain their current environmental and social efforts, but also introduce new ones. Step by step, they constantly evolve because they care.

Photo: PNW Production via Pexels

#3 Think twice before buying

Rethinking your shopping habits is, indeed, an important step to minimizing fashion’s carbon footprint. Impulse buying accounts for between 40% and 80% of purchases. And while sometimes we deserve to treat ourselves, these numbers are quite worrisome. Therefore, the next time you go shopping, ask yourself things like: “How much will I wear this dress? How many similar pairs of shoes do I already possess? How long will this sweater last?” In other words, buy mindfully and listen mainly to your needs.

#4 Make all your clothes special

You have that sweater, right? The one that you have been wearing for ages. Your grandma made it for you and it just feels… like home. And remember this dress your mom gave you when you were 16? Yes, the one she had for her graduation and that has a special place in your wardrobe and in your heart. What about the tie from your father? It is such a funny tie but you just adore it!

We all have these special pieces in our wardrobes and we really take good care of them because they are full of memories and love.

But what about your other clothes and accessories? Can’t they be special, too?

When it comes to caring, stick to the instructions provided by the brands themselves. Choose air drying whenever possible. Also, you will be surprised how many of your clothes should be cold washed. This, of course, saves resources but also prolongs the life of your clothing. 

#5 Make landfills your last resort

We produce more than 90 million tons of textile waste every year. This is the equivalent of a truck full of clothes ending up in a landfill every second.

Therefore, make landfills your last resort. When the time has come for you and your clothes to part ways, sell, swap or donate them if they are in a good condition. If they are not, recycle or upcycle them. You will be surprised how many ideas you can find about upcycling your favorite T-shirt or jeans. Additionally, there are companies and brands like For Days, Patagonia, and Knickey, for instance, that offer to recycle your non-salvageable items.

#6 Swap and buy used items

There are numerous platforms like Vintet and Depop that offer beautifully crafted vintage pieces and unique pre-loved items. Plus, swapping platforms (e.g. Swap Society and Nuw) are also gaining popularity and offer you a budget-friendly way to revamp your closet.

Ready to make you closet more #konshas? Visit our shop to discover brands that care.

More From Konsha

PANGAIA x ZELLERFELD and the Sneakers Made of a Single Material
COACHTOPIA: Stylish, Functional & Sustainable?
Positive Luxury and the Butterfly Mark
How Not To Love Loeffler Randal’s Raffia Designs?
Mara Hoffman: 3 Dresses to Fall in Love with

© Copyright 2023 Fortune Tech LLC. All rights reserved.